Thursday, July 14, 2005

A Celestial Flower?

I saw a flower the other day, on the other side of the river. It was raining.

A long, slender stem reached up to an ivory white flower with a pinkish flavour. Its long thin leaves fluttered in the wind.

The petals seemed so delicate. They curled up slightly at the top...beautiful.

The skin of the petals was iridescent, like a pearl...intoxicating.

It was raining fairly steadily. Small drops of water were hitting the flower. It looked so helpless. It is not fair that such a beautiful flower should have to endure the cold, harshness of nature...I wanted to protect it, but what could I do?

The flower moved, a little, in the cold wind and rain but never too far. The stem was quite rigid so it wouldn't bend too far...pride?

It was all alone. There were no other flowers like it anywhere nearby. There were no trees or bushes to protect it from the elements. It had to survive on its own...what strength.

I was strangely attracted to it. I wanted it. I really wanted it. But it was all wet and muddy. I could slip and fall into the river. Everything would be ruined. I couldn't take that chance.

I wanted to taste it. That surprised me. I suppose people eat jams and jellies made out of rose petals.

I wondered what it would smell like. Would it be as sweet as it looked?

If I plucked it, how long would it last? Maybe I could transplant it in my home. I wonder if it would survive. Would I know how to care for it?

I looked toward the bridge, thinking I might take a chance. It was a long bridge. It would take a long time to cross. I was getting cold and wet. I moved a little toward the bridge then looked back to the flower. It was gone. I couldn't see it anymore. Where did it go? Maybe It was a dream.

My heart hurts. I guess I should take my medication.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home