Monday, August 01, 2005

How To Get Out Of A Slump

Life is unfair.

Sometimes bad things happen and keep happening without letting up. Things keep getting from bad to worse. There seems to be no end in sight. What's a person to do? Just roll over and die?

I don't think so.

Being a vetran of life not working out the way I planned, I have learned some survival techniques. Sometimes they get me out of trouble. Often they give me the mental toughness to get through a series of daunting situations. If nothing else, they always keep me from going into a depression.

Here are some of the strategies I have found useful:

1. Take time to relax.

This can be one of the hardest things to do when life is not being nice to you but it must be done. Let go of the things you feel you must do. Maybe not all of them, but enough so you can take three to five, five minute breaks in a day. Just do nothing. Sit there. If possible, close your eyes and sit there. After the five minutes, get back to work.

Transcendental Meditation is the best way to get a deep level of rest in 20 minutes twice a day. Being a closet workaholic, this has been my secret weapon for maintaining my sanity (and energy levels) through the toughest situations. This is my single most important tip. Check it out here: http://www.alltm.org/Transcendental_Meditation.html

2. Keep your mind focused on a goal.

Sometimes a difficult situation means you should be switching directions. Sometimes it just means you should learn more. Often it doesn't mean anything at all. In any case, if you focus on something that is worth chasing and keep working toward it something will happen. You may get to a point where it becomes clear that you are on the wrong path. You may get a bright idea that gets you through the bad situation. Many times focusing on some worthwhile goal will just keep you positive enough that you can recognize the way out of your problems.

3. Get enough sleep.

Especially if you are tending toward depression, take time to get enough hours of sleep. You have to do this. There is no way out. Being tired all the time is a quick way to go into depression.

4. Exercise.

If you are going toward a depression, do aerobic exercise. Get your blood pumping. Do some deep breathing. Get some fresh air.

If your nerves are being stressed, do a little bit of vigorous exercise but lean toward streching exercises like yoga. Learn to do rhythmic breating exercises like Qi Gong or Pranayam. I have found Tai Chi to be very therapeutic.

5. Eat properly.

Eat freshly prepared foods. Don't eat leftovers. Have at least two hot, balanced meals a day. Have something light for breakfast. Don't stay hugry for long periods of time. Good nutrition habits are essential if you are going to survive stressful situations in life.

6. Take herbal supplements.

I went through many situations and ended up getting chest pains. I later discovered that I didn't need to do that. There are many good quality herbal supplements you can take. I rely on products by a company called Sunrider. They have something called ESE. This is a great herbal mixture for getting relaxed. There are no side effects. I have found the anxiousness goes away with just one or two capsules. I only use it when all else fails.

If money is an issue Sunrider may be too expensive. In that case, go to an Indian grocery store and buy some Brahmi and Amlaki (or Amla) tablets. Take four to six a day of each one. You'll feel 100% better within a couple of days.

7. Stay around positive people.

Don't become a loner. Don't hang out with others who are going through a bad time. I know it's tempting, but don't do it. Be around people who are succeeding. Their energy will pull you through. It will keep you from falling into a depression. Don't talk to them about your problems, unless you think they can actually help. If you need to talk out your problems find a friend you can dump on, once. If you keep putting your attention on your problems there is no way out. You'll keep feeling worse about it. Get out of yourself and into the lives of positive people who are going places. This is really a powerful strategy, just try it.

8. Read a book on positive thinking or goal setting or anything like that.

Once I was going through such a depression that I wanted to commit suicide. I somehow made a decision to read positive thinking books. Within a few months I was out of the depression. I highly recommend this strategy. Who knows, you might even learn something useful!

9. Get someone to pray for you.

As Hindu I have access to many different approaches to praying. Followers of every system make promises of the benefits of their approach. I have tried many of them. What I have found is that the effect of my prayers for me keep my life in a general good trend but I haven't found results in eliminating specific problems. On the other hand I have seen some remarkable results from someone else praying for me.

Some traditional Indian astrologers (Jyotishees) offer prayers to various planets in a person's chart to eliminate their bad effect. I have found good results with every one (of many) that I have tried but one person's prayers have had significantly better results for me. His name is Dr. M.P. Uniyal. You can reach him at: 626-256-3325.

10. Take a philosophical approach to life.

I have found that good times and bad times are like the weather. They seem to come and go without warning. When things are good, life is fun. When things go bad, try to get out of the way of the bad and wait out the storm. Eventually, the bad situation will go away. Do what you need to, to survive, but don't fight the situation. It will just drain you. Accept things the way they are and quietly, purposefully do what needs to be done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home