Friday, August 26, 2005

Happy Love Day!

Krishna was a man born several thousand years ago. Many Hindus consider him to be God incarnate. He is prominently featured in books like the Mahabharat, Bagwad Geeta and Shrimad Bhagwatam. It is said that if a person reads any one of these he is assured a place in heaven.

I had a Krishna experience once.

I was doing a speech for a group of high school students. They started talking about morality in religion and someone mentioned Krishna. My instant reaction was quite negative...I said if you are looking for a moral role model you should look at Raam, not Krishna. The literature on Krishna depicts Krishna as quite a ladies man. Other instances describe him as being quite manipulative. In fact, the Mahabharat was a world war that some say was engineered by Krishna. Some would say that the Geeta is an elaborate sales pitch for justifying the killings during war.

This does not sound like the God that religious people would like to believe in. I took these kinds of ideas and said negative things about him to my group of students.

As my speech ended I was heading out the door, thinking about what had come out of my mouth and suddenly it felt like something opened up in front of my eyes. It was just a flash of realization, but I saw Krishna and I felt a tremendous love swell up inside me. I realized that Krishna is pure love...just infinite love.

I was really surprised. Since Krishna is considered to be God, I expected some sort of reprimand for saying bad things about Him, but instead, I got love.

I took this new perspective of Krishna and went through everything I knew about him as described in the literature. I realized that at the time Krishna was born people had lost their path and were doing all sorts of immoral things. A system had developed where even good people supported the bad out of obligation and political correctness. Good people were being squeezed out of society.

Krishna's role was to bring balance back into nature. The 'good' needed a hand. The only way to eliminate the influence of 'bad' was through a war. This is why he engineered a war where millions were killed. Krishna re-established the right path to heaven in the Geeta. The Bhagwatam is Krishna incarnate...Simply by reading it or listening to it, a persons sins are washed away...problems are replaced by success, unhappiness is replaced by bliss...I have met people who read the Bhagwatam every day and I have found them to be some of the gentlest, most loving people.

I also learned that according to the Veda, Krishna is considered to be the first unit of creation. My own experience has been that as I go deeper into the mind I experience more bliss and love. If Krishna is the first unit of creation, that would mean that love takes shape as Krishna as the universe is created.

My conclusion is that despite what people may say the reality of Krishna is love.

Today is Krishna's birthday. Today is the day to be thankful for the love in your life. Today is the day you can have infinite love simply by having your attention on Krishna.

I wish you a happy Janmashthmi. I wish you happy love day. May the ifluence of this day fill you with so much love that all your trouble are forgotten. May you live in bliss.

Jai Shree Krishna.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home